Sunday, June 21, 2015

D-Day!!!!

    

It’s D-day! A.K.A. Departure Day (or Dad’s day since it’s Father’s Day today). This is it! We’ve said our final goodbyes, packed up our bags, and prepared our hearts. There is no going back.


Already I am amazed at the relationships and encounters I’ve had because of this trip. Because my parents like to brag about their daughter going to the Congo to just about everyone they meet, we end up sparking some great conversations.


Also, I just have to thank my church, friends and family who have been overwhelmingly generous, helpful and encouraging to me throughout this process. I can’t even count the amount of times people have come up or written to me to let me know that they are excited for my journey and praying for me. This means the world, thank you.


I find comfort in the fact that this is where God wants me to be, at this time, and at this stage in my life. I just pray He can use me to be a blessing to the people of the Congo, as well as my team and the missionaries there.

Now we’re off to a jump-start on training, where we’ll prepare with the other teams from Trek7 for a couple days, then taking off on the 24th.

(This was written this morning).


(Now for an update since arriving at our hotel in Minneapolis).


    Right now I feel like a bunch of grapes that got thrown in a crate of apples (ok maybe that wasn't a very good analogy). Basically I have mixed feelings right now...mostly good. My parents and I hugged goodbye and I was left in a hotel full of strangers (besides Chloe), completely out of my element.



     Fortunately, Chloe and I met up with the three other girls going to the Congo: Shiloh (going to Gemena with us), Laura and Hailey (going to Kinshasa). We also met one of the team leaders, Jim, and the pastor and his wife who will be flying with us.

(from left: myself, Hailey, Laura, Shiloh, Chloe)

     After a pizza dinner, several rounds of Uno, a trip to Wal-Mart and a "deep talk" on our hotel beds, we're already feeling fairly comfortable with each other, especially since most of us are complete strangers. I can't wait to see what God brings our way and how each of us grow from this adventure!

***Just a little taste of another 'bump along the road': As we were pulling my luggage up to my room, the pull handle on my checked bag completely snapped! Good thing there is still a small handle on the bag. These moments just have to be taken in stride, always trusting in God's higher plan.


"For I am the Lord your God who takes hold of your hand and says to you, do you fear; I will help you."
Isaiah 41:13

No comments:

Post a Comment