Friday, June 26, 2015

A Day in Kinshasa

     Here's what our first day in Kinshasa looked like:






     These photos are only from our breakfast and Lingala lesson this morning. As when we are around town or any public place, it's not a good idea to take photos, especially when there are police men around, like in the airport or the streets.

     Our Lingala teacher and everyone else has been working hard with us to get down this language. Today we worked hard on the alphabet and some simple conjugation and phrases. We also shopped a little bit around town and bought SIM cards for our phones. Later on, we were able to go to the airport to pick up our checked bags and, even though we waited a while, were able to take back every single bag that was delayed. (Thank you for your prayers!) Afterwards, one of our leaders took us out for some delicious pizza.

     Observing the city from a van, the streets and sides are constantly overflowing with people (even at night!). Whether it is people selling odds and ends, to children walking the streets, to women with giant baskets on their heads to rickety vans and crazy drivers (there are no street signs or traffic lights!), Kinshasa is always alive. Whether inside or outside there is always loud music playing somewhere (like our neighbors across the street right now) and the smell of oil (and who knows what else) stays with you and sticks to your clothes. Even so, I will miss this city, but I am excited to finally be going to Gemena tomorrow.

     We leave bright and early in the morning to fly to Gemena, this time with just the three of us (myself, Chloe and Shiloh). However, we will have a group leader taking us to the airport as well as a police man we know at the airport helping us get on our plane. And when we arrive we'll have someone to meet us. However, I do have one prayer request (besides safe travels): My ticket has a different team members name on it somehow, so we will have to get that all sorted out in the morning.

     Again, thank you so much for your prayers!! You probably won't be hearing as much from me from now on as our wifi will be spotty and slow in Gemena.

"...my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield, and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold and my refuge, my savior; you save me from violence.  I call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised, and I am saved from my enemies."
2 Samuel 22:3-4
 

No comments:

Post a Comment