Tuesday, July 28, 2015

To Love An Orphan (Global Fingerprints in Gemena)

     We've all seen the pictures--those photos of children, obviously from another country, wearing a school uniform and mounted on a refrigerator. Often these children are living in poor conditions and have lost either one or both of their parents. This little boy or girl is an orphan. But because God called an individual or a family to care for them, they have the opportunity to be fed nutritionally, educationally, physically and spiritually. They are the sponsored children.   


     Meet Alphonse. Because her father passed away, her mother most likely re-married and her new husband didn't want the responsibility of children. Thus, Alphonse is an orphan. Growing up as an orphan means that you don't have parents to look after you and love you. In Alphonse's case, her grandmother takes care of her. Often times children in third-world countries deal with health problems where a small cut could get infected and a cold could weaken an immune system and make them more susceptible to losing their lives. But in many ways, Alphonse is not unlike children her age in America.
     I had the privilege of interviewing this girl (along with a translator) for the purpose of updating her sponsor information on the Global Fingerprints website.  At about 12 years old, she loves to play jumping activities.  Part way through our interview, she taught me a hand game and was teaching one of our leaders a jumping game.  Just like any other child, she has dreams of what she wants to do when she grows up.  After high school Alphonse wants to become a nurse.  Her smile left an impression on my heart.

     Although Alphonse may not have a mother or father to take care of her, I rejoice in the fact that she has a sponsor parent who loves her, provides for her and covers her in prayer. But there are many children with Global Fingerprints who are in the system but have not yet been claimed for sponsorship. Global Fingerprints has children in Congo, Haiti, India, Indonesia, Liberia, and Zambia. I would encourage you to pray about this opportunity and see if God is calling you to be a spiritual parent to one of these orphans. Read some of their stories on the Global Fingerprints website or blog.  Pray about this opportunity to love an orphan.

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal.  And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing.  If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing....Love never ends.  As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.  For we know in part and we prophesy in part, but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away."
1 Corinthians 13:1-3, 8-10

No comments:

Post a Comment